March 29, 2013

Lefse

In marrying Kyle I married into a family of Norwegians and became an honorary Norwegian
myself. I think this was actually official when I received my own lefse maker from Kyle's
mom for my bridal shower. I was given all the tools necessary to make this traditional potato
flat bread, but it unfortunately all sat unopened for the last 3 years. Moving around just made
it hard to use, but that has changed!
Last weekend we decided to make a big ol' batch of lefse. All by ourselves! Yikes! We
normally do it with Grandma Lois and lots of other helping hands, but I have to say we were pretty proud of our skills as we turned out a delicious stack of goodness for us to enjoy.

Here's how we did it...
After making a batch of what is essentially thick mashed potatoes (milk, butter, and potatoes),
you let it cool and add flour.
 
 
 
Mix it all up

 

Form the dough into balls

 
 
Roll it out
 

 
 
Place it on the griddle
 




Flip, using the lefse stick
 

Spread with butter and sprinkle with sugar


 
 
Roll it up and enjoy!
 


I'm embarrassed to say that we devoured all the pieces of lefse we made over the last week, essentially eating it for breakfast, lunch, and literally as dinner on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment