August 19, 2011

Dominica




When you’re a little girl thinking about your future you dream about going to college, getting married, starting a career, a family, and building a life with your husband while being surrounded by family and friends. Never once does the thought of moving to a 3rd world country pop into your head. Never once do you hope to feel incredibly alone while your husband studies day and night. And you certainly don’t hope to be so far away from your family, friends, and everything you’ve ever known. Our first 2 years of marriage have been nothing but a crazy adventure, far from anything I planned, but I can honestly say I wouldn’t change a thing.

Dominica is a unique place and hopefully through our blog and our stories you have seen all of its beauty as well as its scars. Living here has made me appreciative of so many things…my family, education, freedom, modern conveniences, health care, air conditioning, fully-stocked grocery stores, clean running water…the list could go on and on. Many of you who know me are aware that I’ve done quite a bit of traveling all over the world and have witnessed countries even worse off than Dominica, but nothing gives you a better understanding of the people and the poverty than living here.

I will be forever grateful of this experience. It has taught me so much about myself and given us such a strong start to our marriage. We were able to figure out who we were as a couple without the stresses of jobs, events and obligations, and worldly distractions. We have friends here, but in the end we really have each other. When Kyle finished up studying a bit early, there was no movie theatre, no mall, no golf course for us to spend time at. We had ourselves and we learned to talk, play cards, or just be with each other in silence.

Getting involved here has been my saving grace. It made it easier to connect with people and build friendships that I know I’ll have forever. I’ve been blessed to have been involved with the Ross Spouses Organization, a Bible Study, InLightIn, and act as a standardized patient. It’s been a lot of fun. I’m really going to miss the spouses and especially the kids from InlightIn. I’ve watched those kids grow up, mature, move on to high school, celebrate accomplishments, and grieve losses.

As we head back to the states, I hope to bring back many of the things I’ve learned here (leave behind the humidity, bugs, and inconveniences) and apply them to my life back home. Although Kyle has seen me in my many moments of stress, anxiety, and overall hatred for this place, he knows I’ve loved it and will always appreciate this experience he has given me. Thanks babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment