June 10, 2011

Bense Pool

I've been to a lot of places on this island and have experienced a lot of different things, but there's still more to check off on my list. My first semester here I felt like I had so much I wanted to do and see, but I knew if I crammed it all into a few short months, I'd be twiddling my thumbs now. I've tried to spread it out and I'm now down to just 3 or 4 places to go.



One of these places was Bense Pool. I have friends who have been there many times, but for some reason I never made the trip a priority. Last Saturday I finally went and I can't believe I waited this long. It is absolutely beautiful!

On the drive up to the top...




On the hike down to the pool...





Victor was our fearless driver and guide. He knows Dominica like nobody else and always teaches us something new along the way. This time he broke open a coconut for us to snack on and drink from, showed us how to make soap from leaves, and how to suck on the pulp from a cocoa pod. I'm becoming a real jungle woman!





When you get to the pool there's nothing more refreshing, and terrifying, than jumping into the deep, cold pool below. I stood looking over the edge for quite some time and finally jumped screaming at the top of my lungs the entire way. The jump is probably only 12-15 feet, but it seems like 100.
(Don't worry Mom and Dad...it was completely safe. I promise)






Here are the girls afters a nice swim in the cold, fresh water, ready to hike back...

No comments:

Post a Comment