June 13, 2011

Shop 'till You Drop, Literally

Since we only have about 2 months left here in Dominica I've been thinking about all the things I am going to miss...as well as the things I won't. One of the things I surely will not miss is the method of grocery shopping.




Back in the states grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do. It's quite therapeutic, actually, and I love going in with my coupons, my list, and spending time carefully selecting each potential ingredient to a home-cooked meal.




Here, things are quite different. I know I've described the hunting and gathering techniques before on our blog, but it truly is exhausting and something I haven't gotten used to. We do have a nice grocery store in our town now, but it's constantly picked over and I find myself still needing to go to Roseau to get all of things on my list. On Saturday I went with some of the other spouses to Roseau (you know the city an hour away on a windy, bumpy road?) We all arrived early in the morning to campus with many large totes and cooler bags ready for the day, not so ready for the drive. After lugging our goods from store to store and from one end of Roseau to the other, we finally met up in an air-conditioned coffee shop to compare our discoveries.




Here we are outside of the coffee shop, waiting for our ride...sweaty, smelly, and yet still smiling.

2 comments:

  1. best roseau trip for me was that day with you! mind you, we really didn't need to grocery shop, so that helped. i remember that day with such fondness. xo

    ReplyDelete