June 1, 2011

Melting

I realize I was born and raised in Arizona where it averages well over 100 degrees in the summer and it can feel like you're sitting in an oven come June, July, and August. Phoenix averages 7 inches of rain a year and reaches humidity percentages as low as 2% (that happened when we were home in May). These facts have allowed many people who live in the Valley of the Sun to say "it's a dry heat" when people question our sanity for living in the desert.




I'm now questioning my own sanity for living in a sauna! It's currently 88 degrees, but says it feels like 97, and the humidity is 78%. I'm literally melting. I honestly cannot stop sweating. I'm already a big water drinker as it is, but I can't drink it fast enough to keep up with the amount I'm putting out.




Note to family and friends in Phoenix: don't give me grief about how hot it is there, because I have no sympathy. As I walk to the store, you drive in your air conditioned car, as I cook in our hot box of a kitchen with a blow torch as an oven, you blast your a/c, and as you sleep under your ceiling fan, I have a floor fan blasting on my body only to wake up in a puddle of sweat.




(fuffer.wordpress.com)




I apologize for the complaining, it's something I'm trying to work on here (clearly not very hard), but the weather is something I will truly NOT miss about this island and I think it's made me go a little crazy. Trust me, there are plenty of things I appreciate about this place, but the sauna-like feeling is not one of them.

2 comments:

  1. I needed this reality check. It is super hot here.... but it's like I've forgotten using an oven there. I still have to walk with groceries, but at least I have to work a little for my sweat. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I am so sorry. I would be miserable. You are one tough (I guess gooey now) cookie.

    ReplyDelete