July 30, 2012

City Thoughts

We've been in New York City for 1 month now and as we find our little niche in the most populated city in the United States. I've already had a glimpse into things I like and things that aren't so pleasant about NYC.
Thumbs up...
  • to the endless options of entertainment (no matter your preference, there is something here for you)
  • to walking everywhere and taking the stairs (I'll admit that sometimes when I'm carrying a lot of bags or sweat is streaming down my face, I want to give this a big thumbs down, but I love the built in exercise)
  • to seeing all different kinds of people (on a daily basis I see a variety of personal styles, pass a celebrity or some kind of corporate VIP on the street, and hear the sound of languages from all over the world)
  • to being able to get anything and everything you can imagine delivered (need a bottle of wine or a cup of frozen yogurt and don't want to walk in the rain, just have it delivered, usually for no extra fee -  fabulous!)
Thumbs down...
  • to the overwhelming smell of dog pee that has sat too long on a hot sidewalk (nothing like a whiff of urine on a nice city stroll)
  • to people who stop/stand/talk/stare at a map/text on their cellphone in the MIDDLE of the sidewalk (there's a quick flow of pedestrian traffic -  move it or lose it people!)
  • to the insane prices of certain things (some price tags are considerably higher here than they would be elsewhere so I've resorted to ordering things online or buying in bulk from warehouse stores)
All in all, we are completely smitten with the city and still look at each other and say "Do we really live here?". I'm sure this love affair won't last forever, and in time we'll be ready to return to our comfort zone of fenced in backyards and traveling in cars, but for now we're pretty darn happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment