July 9, 2012

While he was away...

This weekend, Kyle went to Washington D.C. for an all-guy getaway. While he did "boy stuff", I had a few adventures of my own here in The Big Apple.

Saturday, I took the train to Brooklyn to check out the Brooklyn Flea Market. What a fantastically fun place! Despite the scorching 98 degree weather I had a great time. Handmade jewelry, vintage clothes, artisanal baked goods, unique housewares, you can find it all. They also have a row of food tents where you can get a pretty gourmet lunch for "flea market food". Think lobster rolls, seasonal fruit milkshakes, blueberry/cardamom popsicles, and Gruyere grilled cheese...am I making you drool? We will definitely be returning to this weekend market, if nothing else, to people watch!



***side note: On our road trip to NYC, we passed through the town of Greenville, Ohio. Home of KitchenAid, duh! It's a great place to snatch up one of those beautiful stand mixers for a fraction of the retail price. Let's just say I paid less than 50% of the normal price for my new beauty.



I thought my weekend alone would be the perfect opportunity to try my new kitchen machinery in peace. I made some batches of pizza dough to freeze and using the dough hook attachment made it a breeze. I'm hooked! (no pun intended)

After a relaxing Sunday morning and afternoon of meal planning, produce shopping, and street strolling I met up with my cousin, Gail, and her boyfriend, Tony, for a sunset bike ride. 

We rode through Central Park...



and along the Hudson River.




Thanks for a great Sunday evening, and workout, Tony and Gail. We'll have to do it again! 

I'm learning there is no shortage of activities in the city. I look forward to other weekend adventures, but next time I'd like to bring Kyle along too.

2 comments:

  1. That is so exciting! I wish I could be there to shop with you; reminds me of shopping in Hong Kong! How exciting to spend time with Gail also! I'm so happy for you and amazed how everything has worked out for you!! Loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, Heidi! So excited that y'all are settled and loving New York! I can't wait to come visit!

    ReplyDelete