August 15, 2012

Easy as Pie!

Yesterday, the love of my life turned 27!

I can't even believe it. On our first date, he was just 17 while I was much younger at 16 :)
I can't wait to see him at 97...wrinkly, toothless, and still cute as ever (and probably a little cantankerous).

As we've gotten older, we've learned that the world doesn't stop for our birthday as it did when we were little, darn, but we still planned a fun evening at a fabulous restaurant in Soho and I believe a round of golf is in the works for Kyle this weekend.

When asked what he wanted for his big day, he responded with "Pie".

"Pie?"

"Yes, pie. Lemon Meringue Pie."

"Oh boy!"

To understand the pressure of this pie you have to know that it's a challenging dessert to make to begin with. There's the lemon custard, which you don't want to turn into scrambled egg yokes and then there's the meringue which has to be whipped to the perfect consistency of "stiff peaks".

As if those factors didn't make it enough of a daunting task you have to know about Great-Grandma Hickman...Queen of the Lemon Meringue Pie! She would make this often for her family and I think at times Kyle would even get his very own pie due to his love of it's sweet and creamy tang. She even taught him to make it when he was little.

I was up to the challenge and created this pie. So I could focus on the top two components of the pie, I used a store. bought. crust. (Ahhh, I know, please don't cringe too much and forgive me)



Best of all, it was birthday boy approved!
(I was even told that Great-Grandma Hickman would have been proud)
Happy Birthday Kyle!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish, Heidi! Lemon Meringue was one of the first pies I learned to make, and it's my favorite :) Happy Birthday to Kyle!

    ReplyDelete