November 6, 2010

Kids These Days

I've been so blessed to have been able to go right back to a job since we've been home. Obviously our extended visit was unplanned and I needed to fill my time in some way and make some money too. Substitute teaching has been the perfect thing. I've worked almost every day each week that we've been here and it's something I truly love doing. I sub for K through 9 so I get to experience a little bit of everything. One day I have a 6 year old tugging on my pants and telling me I'm pretty and the next day I have a 14 year old giving me "the bird" and telling me he hates school. It's always an adventure and I truly could write a book on all the things I've experienced. These are just a few of my favorites since I've been home:
  • I had a 3rd grader poop on the floor. It literally fell right through his shorts and onto the floor. The next day I noticed he was wearing pants that seemed to be tighter at the ankle. Poor little fella'.
  • I had a 1st grader make the comment "I just don't think that Harry Mitchell is gonna make the cut this time". This was on election day and she was referring to an AZ candidate for Congress. Kids must really pick up on everything they hear.
  • A 3rd grader told me "Man, my new shoes are increasing my speed each and every day. I don't know when I'll be able to stop". Where do they come up with this stuff?
  • While I was in the middle of reading a story to a class of kindergartners one of the girls raised her hand and said "I feel like coloring". That was it...she felt the need to raise her hand, stop me in the middle of the story, and tell me that. I wanted to say "Yes and I feel like a cocktail, but we don't always get what we want in life now do we?" Instead I simply said, "That's not what we are doing right now". I am constantly censoring myself.

I love my job and look forward to a new adventure each time I step onto a campus.

4 comments:

  1. i wish that i could be a fly on the wall while you teach. i am sure the kids just love when they have Mrs. Hickman subbing. miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha these all sounds hilarious. When I was teaching preschool, I had this little guy up to me during our Under The Sea week, and describe (in incredibly good, and mostly correct detail) how jelly fish can have different size testicles; some are long, some are short; and lots of them sting you when you touch them.
    I definitely agree with Taylor, and would love to spy in on Mrs. Hickman!!
    Love to you... xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are awesome stories Heidi...especially the last one! Hope all is well, can't wait to see you in January :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the stories, I can picture your cocktail thought... how funny. We miss you guys alot!

    ReplyDelete