January 27, 2011

Yet Another Island Adventure

Tuesday I embarked on yet another island adventure. The spouses had a trip planned to Trafalgar Falls and a hot spring "spa". I have been to both of these things quite a few times, but I signed up to go anyway. Again, Dominica doesn't disappoint in teaching me something new.

Lesson #1: Flora and Fauna
(clockwise from top left)
Agouti (no, this is not a giant rat, although it looks like one), pineapple, waterfall surrounded by the rain forest, and a plant that the locals have a special name for (I'll let you form your own opinion)


Lesson #2: Skin care
There are many hot springs in the southern part of Dominica and I have now been to 3 of them. This particular one has a place for a mud bath. This mud bath consists of sitting in a pond of murky water, digging your hand into the ground, scooping up jiggly, gooey mud, and lathering it onto your body. As you can imagine, we all got a good chuckle out of this.

Lesson #3: Beauty
Although I know Dominica is beautiful, I can sometimes forget about it as I'm lugging groceries in the rain. With all the annoying rain comes lush greenery that is picture perfect. The only thing that could make the beauty more perfect is to sit in a tub with constantly fresh hot spring water flowing into it to keep you fresh and warm. That's exactly what all of us got to do. All that was missing was a glass of wine and a good book. It was relaxing refreshing all at the same time.


Lesson #4: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Now, I know this is a Cyndi Lauper song, but it really fits my life right now. I have so much fun with these girls and I think it's because we're all in this crazy adventure together and we're up for anything to stay sane. On this adventure it included sucking on slimy cocoa beans (ick!) and drinking warm, fresh coconut water (ick again!)


Great day with the girls!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Guys! Sorry for the delay in posting :( Glad you made it back safe & sound...things look great. Heidi, I am jealous/envious/sad about all these fun "girl time" activities. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised you actually saw an agouti. Add that to my list of "must see" when I come down.

    ReplyDelete