August 15, 2010

On the Menu...

Kyle decided a few days a ago that he wanted Mexican food for dinner. There's no Garcia's or Serrano's around these parts so this means I would have to make it. This actually excited me...it would be a great opportunity for me to use the tortilla press my mom sent down in a package of goodies. (As a side story: Kyle went to the customs office on campus to pickup the box. The customs officer always looks through the package and decides based on the goods in the box how much he should charge us. This tortilla press really threw him for a loop! Kyle had no idea what it was, which is shocking to me considering he has lived in AZ for most of his life, and the officer thought it was an antique from Texas. Anyway, we paid and I got my press.)

Unfortunately it doesn't press it as flat as I need for a tortilla. I still had to roll it out a bit more, but it does help a little.




See what I mean? Looks more like the start to Indian fry bread.



It all worked out and we had a very nice dinner: honey-lime shrimp tacos with chipotle sour cream and green beans. Despite not feeling well he put on a smile for the picture and managed to eat.


And for dessert? Mini lemon-cream pies. Don't worry...I made a few of these. I knew they were too small to handle his love of lemon pie, ill or not.

An update on Kyle: He's still not feeling great. It's been about 6 days now and although he seems to be getting better, it's taking a while. Hopefully this is all from stress and maybe a bug of some sort (we do live in a 3rd world country). His final exams start this week, he has one one Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Thankfully he's in a great position and doesn't have to worry about studying too much, but it still stresses him to know his studying has been limited. Keep him in your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Are you kidding me? It has to get the tortillas flat enough. Maybe you are using too much dough. I'm going to stop in at Pro's Ranch Market for a how to lesson.

    ReplyDelete