September 24, 2010

You, Me, and a...Cactus?

We've been in AZ for over 2 weeks now and strangely it feels so normal. Of course, this is home to both Kyle and I, but you would think it would take a little more adjusting after living on a Caribbean island for the past 9 months. I really should temporarily change the name of the blog to You Me and a Cactus considering there are no banana plants to be found around these parts, but for everyone's sanity we'll keep things as is. One change that has hit me is the change in climate. My beautiful, golden tan is flaking off faster than you can say "it's a dry heat".
Kyle is feeling better, but still not 100%. I wish I had more news and updates, but things are moving slowly when it comes to his recovery.
As I mentioned before I will start subbing next week. I am extremely excited about the thought of getting up for a purpose, other than to cook and deliver Kyle's meals, and I also look forward to actually getting ready. This includes doing my hair, makeup, and putting something on my body other than sunscreen, bug repellent, a bathing suit, or athletic wear. The whole slicked back ponytail is not really my thing and neither is no makeup, but when it's 90 degrees outside with humidity at about 1,000%, there's really no point. Any stitch of effort put into my appearance has melted right off my face and pooled onto the floor, along with my sweat, within seconds of leaving our apartment. No wonder Kyle has this frightened look on his face when I enter the study area to bring him his lunch. Can you blame him? Anyway, my other thoughts about starting subbing again involve the hours...I have to be at most schools around 7:30am! This does not coincide my Dominican schedule. Remember, I've been on "island time". I'm more of a wake up at 9am kind of person. I'm sure I will adjust, but I warned Kyle that I might be a bit of a grouch.
As I think about the changes over the last 2 weeks, it seems as though the roles have reversed. He will be at home trying to get better and maybe study a little or even play domestic diva, while I work and try to make some money. I don't mind this at all, in fact as I mentioned before I am really looking forward to it. I did have to chuckle when I received a call from Kyle, after being out with my mom for most of the day, that went a little something like this:
Kyle: Hey honey, how's your day going?
Me: Fine.
Kyle: Any idea when you'll be home? I've been sooooo bored and lonely all day and daytime television really stinks.
(There was a long pause of silence and then my jaw fell to the floor)
Me: Really? I never knew this.
(Another long pause of silence)
Kyle: Oh.....I guess this is how you feel when I'm away studying for 15 hours a day.
Me: Yes it is. I'll be home shortly. Love you.

It seems as though this bump in the road, period of change, whatever you want to call it, will be good for us. If nothing else, it looks likes we might gain a greater appreciation for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment