January 11, 2010

Island Tour


http://www.worldatlas.com/

On Sunday we took a full day island tour with the university. We went to the botanical gardens, Roseau, Trafalgar Falls, and Scott's Head. It was very beautiful and we were glad to have the opportunity to explore a little bit of the island before things get too busy for Kyle.
In other news, today is Kyle's first day of school!!! I think he is excited to start and get into a routine. For now, my job is to support him and keep his tummy full...that is a huge problem for many of the other students since it requires a lot more work to get groceries and cook them here on the island. The dean of the school said many of the illnesses of the students come from malnutrition since it is pricey to eat out frequently and they just don't have the time to shop and cook. I made our first meal in our kitchen last night. Nothing local in flavor, just a pasta dish with tomato sauce and ground beef. Boring, but tasty. I do intend to explore, with regards to culinary flare of the island, more once the barrel comes in and I have more tools. I found out through some of the other spouses about a guy in Roseau who delivers meat, in bulk, to the students. The chicken is still just as pricey as in the small grocery stores, but I think it is cleaner and fresher. I can also get ground turkey, ground beef, shrimp, pork, and other things, but our freezer is only so big. I am hoping I can split it with some of our friends here.
Today's photo for this entry is a map of the island. I found that many of you seemed confused about where we actually are. If you click on it you can see a larger version of it. For the island tour we drove along the entire west coast. We started from where we live and Portsmouth (northwest coast) and drove down to Roseau, and then to Scott's Head (the southern most point). I hope this helps. Also, I decided to group our Kodak gallery photos by weeks so even if you have already looked at the most recent batch of photos I sent, I will be sending you "Week 1". This will have all the photos from before plus the ones from our tour. Eventually I will have this organized and all figured out. Right now it is a learning process. We miss and love you all.

5 comments:

  1. Get the guest room ready. I am coming in February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle is lucky to have you! I'm sure the other med students are jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you guys. Happy first day of school Kyle. Heidi, I just bought a barrel, we measured and we can fit...be there in 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I assume that "some of you" meant Cole in terms of not really knowing where you are....Well Im sure the trave agent will be able to figure it out I will just ask her when I book my flight :)

    ReplyDelete