January 16, 2010

The Market (Take Two)

This morning we arrived at the market at 5:50am...we had learned our lesson last time and didn't want to miss the good stuff or the fish. Wouldn't you know it, we couldn't find any fish. We said oh well (we've learned to go with the flow around here) and loaded up on some produce and spices instead. Our hands were full and we were about to leave when I heard the conch shell being blown. I gave Kyle a look and said, "They have fish!". I think he thought I was crazy so I told him to just follow me. He did and we found the fish man! I don't remember where I had heard about the conch shell being blown and the fact that that meant the fish was in, but I'm glad I did. Needless to say we bought 5 lbs. of mahi mahi and 3 lbs. of yellow fin tuna for 54 EC ($20). We bought some other goodies today at the market. Lots of bananas and plantains as well as banana bread and cinnamon bread, rosemary, avocado, green beans, oranges, tomatoes, and lettuce.
I spent a good portion of my afternoon cleaning and packaging fish to freeze. I can honestly say it is not a job I would want to do on a regular basis. Kyle spent his day at the library and we plan to watch some football this evening possibly at our little sports bar up on the hill with a great view of the town and water. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment