January 18, 2010

Whale Watching and Grocery Shopping


Sunday Kyle and I did a whale watching excursion. It was a lot of fun that we didn't think would happen because of the rain. Apparently, here on the island, because it rains so much, they learn to do everything rain or shine...something we aren't used to back in AZ. Back to the whales...we saw about 8 sperm whales (the Moby Dick whale), some male, some female, and some babies. It was very exciting watching them swim around, dive for food, breach and make big splashes. They say Dominica is one of the best spots in the world to see the whales. These whales are here year-round due to the deep waters and the little boat traffic that Dominica has compared to some of the other places. Kyle was dying to harpoon one of them, but there were quite a few kids on the boat and he didn't want make them cry or me.

Today, while Kyle was studying away, I took a trip with the other spouses to Roseau, the big capital city, to do some grocery shopping. It was setup through the spouses organization and they did a great job putting it together. They took us to some of their favorite spots to get groceries, we had lunch, and then the drivers took us right to each of our front doors and unloaded our groceries. It was wonderful! It's amazing how excited we all got to see some familiar items at nearly half of the prices we pay here in Portsmouth. It's definitely a trip worth taking (1 hour each way) at least twice a month to load up on some key items. I figure I now know where to get the things I need. Between the meat man, the bread lady, the Saturday market, and 6 or 7 grocery stores I frequent to get what I need, I will be able to feed Kyle with some brain food to get him through those long hours of studying.

Kyle has a big day tomorrow. He will be going into the anatomy lab to dissect the spinal cord of his cadaver. I am a little repulsed, but you would think it was his birthday. That boy...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got a little bit of needed retail therapy. Any bargains?

    Re: Kyle and "his cadaver". Are these people who have donated their bodies to science?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The previous commnent isn't anonymous....it's me...
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked for the Nordstrom, but I didn't see anything closely related. There was a woman selling cute straw purses, but I didn't bring that much money with me and I figured Kyle would rather have food to eat than see me with another purse. And yes, the cadavers are people who said when they dies they wanted to be donated to science. Most of them are younger :(

    ReplyDelete