February 3, 2010

Entrepreneurs in the Making


This past Sunday, I started a coffee business with one of my good friends here, Taylor. Her husband is a 1st year student like Kyle and just so happens to be named Kyle as well. As time has passed and we have gotten to know them more and more and it really is quite scary how alike the two Kyles are (and yes, people refer to them as the Kyles). We believe they were twins separated at birth. They don't look alike, but boy do they act, talk, and think the same. Sometimes it really scares me. I don't know if this world can handle two of them! Anyway...Taylor had the idea to start selling coffee and asked if I would be interested in becoming a business partner. I said that I would love to and now we sell coffee, we call it Study Sauce, outside The Barn, a large study area, every night from 4-11pm. That's our schedule for this week...the 1st exam is on Monday, February 8th. After the exam we will probably only do it 2 or 3 times a week. It has proven to be pretty profitable and people seem to be very appreciative of two baristas. We sell our coffee for less than the bookstore, we've been told it is much better, and we save the students a 10 minute walk each way. They also seem to enjoy talking to us for a few minutes. Some people really need to vent. Many of the students are here without a spouse, live alone, and spend their entire days with their nose in a book or their eyes glued to a computer. I think they go a little crazy and just wish someone would ask "How are you doing?", and that's what we do. We've had requests to have other locations around campus, but I think we'll wait a while before we franchise out.

As far as my other half...he is studying away. He puts in around 15-16 hours each day. I feel like I barely see him, but I knew this is what I was in for. I keep pretty busy with the coffee business, Church on Saturday nights, hanging out with the local kids on Fridays, keeping Kyle's tummy happy, and of course the occasional trips to the beach and this is all in addition to the time I spend at the prep school here. For a spouse...life ain't so bad. We tell people "We're just livin' the dream".

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Heidi, I can't wait to taste your coffee.
    Make mine a triple espresso macchiato.
    Go get em Kyle, you are going to do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're pretty cute you lil' entrepreneur. Can't wait to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Heidi. Couldn't help but smile about this story. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete