February 12, 2010

Volcano Eruption Nearby!

This morning we woke up with a layer of ash on EVERYTHING! Come to find out there was a volcano eruption just north of us on the island of Montserrat. The Washington Post had an article about it and reported that ash shot up into the air about 9 miles and the local village was evacuated. With that amount of ash and the winds the sky here is grey, there is a layer of ash everything, and it is gross to breathe. Many of the locals are wearing masks and I keep thinking to myself...do they know something we don't? Hopefully this stuff will blow over and settle by tomorrow because it is not fun to deal with. It has even toyed with our electricity and mail service. We just hope there were No deaths due to the eruption.
In other, more positive, news I finally have an oven. Well, we have always had a stove and an oven, but it is propane and I couldn't figure out how to light the oven part of it and I didn't want to bother Kyle. After wasting countless matches I finally got the courage up to call our landlord. She came over and showed me how to do it in about 10 seconds. All I had to say was "Oh, that was simple" and feel silly as she chuckled under her breath. Either way I am excited about the new things I can bake. Before, if it couldn't be made on the stove top, we couldn't have it. Like I have said before...it's the little things here!

No comments:

Post a Comment