March 1, 2010

Martinique for the Weekend



This past weekend my mom and I (Kyle had to study unfortunately) went to Martinique. We took the ferry, which we had heard horror stories about, and arrived safe and sound and pleasantly surprised about how great it was. I think some people just haven't gotten out much. We rented a car and mom drove us all over the island. She gets a little crazy with the stick shift at times, but we had a lot of fun and it brought back old memories of driving around Europe. In fact, Martinique is A LOT like France. They speak French, drive the same cars, and use the Euro. If I didn't know it I would have thought I was actually there. Most of the islands population is people who have moved from France. Anyway, with all those similarities to France came the same grocery stores and shopping malls. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. We spent one full day in 3 different supermarkets, me just drooling at all the things they have to offer. I now understand what people who move to the USA from a 3rd world country go through. It almost seems like there's too much, like it will all go to waste. None the less, I embraced it and walk up and down every isle scanning the shelves for things we could bring back that I couldn't get here in Dominica. Unfortunately , most of the things I would have liked to have brought back needed to be kept cool and wouldn't have made the trip home. I bought everything from a bag of apples and wine to plastic household goods and a fan. You should have seen us going through the ferry terminal. We looked like the Clampets! It was all worth it when we got it all back. In between drooling in the grocery stores we did have time to go to the beach, drive around half of the island, have a picnic complete with a French baguette, and visit the center of the large town. It was a wonderful trip and a great time spent with my mom.

Did I mention we ate ate McDonald's, twice? Ooooh that burger and fries tasted soooo good.
Overall, we had a great trip...thanks mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment