March 27, 2010

The Shacks

This area of campus is called "The Shacks". It's not actually on campus itself, but it sits right next to it. Although Ross has a Subway, a Chinese food place, a hot dog stand, and a few others places to grab a snack, this would likely be considered the food court of Ross University. I am not exactly sure if the locals who run their stands pay Ross to be there or what, but boy do they have a captive audience. You can find everything from chicken sandwiches, pasta, crepes, pizza, and produce at these little huts. This is a staple in the diets of many of the students living here, mainly the single men...and this is the leverage I have on Kyle. Better be nice or he too could be trading in his gourmet lifestyle for some chicken and fries surrounded by flies. Now I don't mean to be so harsh on The Shacks because, I too have eaten there a handful of times, but my favorite shack is Magdalene, the fruit juice lady. She has mango juice, guava juice, coconut water, starfruit juice, and my favorite...banana juice; it's so smooth and creamy it's almost like a milkshake. The best part about it is how cheap it is, less than $1.50 US for a large cup. Around here, if you can help it, or if you have a loving wife at home to cook for you, it is best to avoid these eateries. Why, you may ask? Well, there is a rampant disease around here called "Shack Attack". Those of you who have traveled to Mexico might know this as another form of Montezuma's Revenge. I won't go into details...I'm sure you are getting a vivid image in your head right now and let's just be honest...it's not pretty! Fortunately Kyle and I have not dined here enough to partake in this unpleasant experience, but we know many people that have! The photo I took of The Shacks was at about 11 o'clock, but in about another hour, lunch time, this place is a sea of people who I wave to as I walk through with my Tupperware of homemade delightfullness. I'm not going to lie...I've gotten looks of pure envy and even a few "what are you having for lunch?". It really is sad, but thank goodness for The Shacks, otherwise students would probably never eat or resort to making a meal out of a vending machine. In the end dining here is like dining in any other foreign country or even in the US. You just have to be careful about what you eat and where you get it from. There are plenty of places at home with far lower standards than The Shacks and it's all about what your stomach is used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment