April 5, 2010

Easter...Dominican Style

Here's the whole gang, minus Kyle and I. In the back are Taylor and Meagan, then on the couches are Alli, Dani, Kyle, Emmet, and Kyle. Yes, we had 3 Kyles for Easter dinner!


The girls!



Here is our beautiful display of tasty treats.


As you can assume Easter was a little different this year for a few reasons. First, it was our first Easter together as a married couple, but it was also our first Easter spent in a foreign country, away from family. I knew it would be a hard day for both of us since we are so close with our families and love every moment we get to spend with them. I decided that we were going to have to make Easter as normal as possible in order for us to not be walking around depressed all day. I suggested to some of my friends that we have a potluck dinner and they all loved the idea. We ended up having the meal at Meagan's house, they live in the complex we will be moving to, and it didn't feel exactly the same as home, but this is our "family" in Dominica and we have all become very close. The food was wonderful, the company was great, and we are so lucky to have become friends with such great people. I don't know what I would do without these girls. As far as the food went, we tried to have some traditional items, but as you can imagine the Honey Baked Ham store is a few hundred decades from being built here so instead we had shepherd's pie, chicken cordon bleu, green bean casserole (I had to hand make the fried onions), salad, mashed potatoes, tropical fruit, banana bread, and carrot cake. Yummy! Well, that was our Easter, we hope you had a wonderful Easter as well, no matter who you spent it with or where in the world you were.
Happy Easter everyone!
p.s. We found out the Easter Bunny doesn't deliver to Dominica. Who knew?

1 comment:

  1. Hello! First off, I love your blog, it was been super helpful. I just got married and my husband and I are heading off to Dominica for school in 10 days! Anyways, what apartment is this one that your friend Meagan lives in? Looks nice!

    ReplyDelete