June 27, 2010

One Long Day

Saturday, I woke up at 7am, which is early for me, to go to Roseau to do some shopping. It was so difficult to wake-up and even more challenging considering Kyle and I stayed up until 1:30am playing gin rummy (it's our latest thing). Yawning the whole way to school to pick-up the transport to Roseau I knew I had to go or I'd be kicking myself the rest of the week. Anyway, the long trip was made completely worth it when I made a visit to the newest grocery store in town. It's called Save-a-Lot. Apparently they have them in the northeast where they are more of a discount grocery store. Well, here, it is like heaven. They have a REAL meat counter with pork, beef, chicken, and fish and none of the packages say "Parts" on them. Hallelujah! They also have a small produce section with quite a few fruits and veggies not to be seen anywhere else on the island. Around here, if it's not grown locally, they don't really have it. I realize this is how things in the US used to be, but this girl is used to produce basically whenever she wants them. We rarely think about the actual seasons of things at home, admit it. Back to my story...as I stood amongst the mass of people in the tiny produce section, I landed my eyes on some beautiful, fresh, green asparagus. I almost cried for joy, but I was quickly stopped by the thought of how expensive it could be. Even at home, I don't buy that stuff unless it's on sale. After 20 minutes of the clerks checking around and doing some calling, I was told 9.95 EC per pound. That's cheap! I took two pounds. I would have taken more, but I didn't dare want them to go bad. Wasting an item like that is a sin around here. Not to mention they only had 8 and I wanted to share with my fellow spouses. The funniest part was how the manager went up to each cashier and said, "This is asparagus", while displaying it to them like you would see on QVC. In addition to the asparagus I got zucchini, apples, pork chops, and stew meat. Such a treat for Dominica! With a smile on my face, I continued my other shopping...picking up pineapples, cucumbers, and lettuce at the market, and then making the long drive home. As I walked from campus, where we are dropped off, to our place, the beads of sweat were rolling down my face and the heavy bags were all digging into my shoulders and arms. About half way home, my bag of produce from the market tears and I nearly cry from exhaustion as my cucumber rolls around on the ground. I pick them up, march home, put away my finds, and leave again to go watch the USA and Ghana in the world cup. Well, you all know how that ended (boo hoo!) I went directly to church from there and then to a surprise birthday party after that. When I finally got home around 10 I couldn't wait to take a shower, relax, and wait for Kyle to come home so I continue my gin rummy winning streak. Well, most of that happened...he killed me in gin rummy! I didn't care. I was just happy to be home having a great time with my love after a VERY LONG DAY.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds exhausting!! Fun too though. I'm so excited for you to have your in laws here... hopefully I'll get to meet them (and hopefully you'll make it over to the Sex & the City movie night:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goshhh i need to come back so i can see this save-a-lot! jealous!!

    ReplyDelete