June 8, 2010

Propane Problems!

One of my biggest frustrations with living in Dominica is the darn propane. We use it for our stoves and ovens here and I'm not used to using it. In our last place I would have to light the oven and stove every time I wanted to use it with a match. It was always a big "woosh" of flames and I thanked God for not singeing every hair on my head, although I do think I lost a few hairs from my eyebrows a time or two. In our new place, we have a pilot light with both the oven and stove so I don't have to use matches, they just turn on as I turn the knob. We all have propane tanks either under the sink or on the side of our buildings. These wonderful little tanks, and I say that sarcastically, don't have any kind of gauge and can only be filled at a few places in town. The fact that there is no way to know how full it is, aside from estimating in your mind based on how muck cooking you did, is very frustrating and it never fails that mine goes out over a holiday weekend, meaning all stores are closed for 3-5 days, or as my meal is half cooked. Conveniently, the propane guy doesn't deliver on Tuesdays or Thursdays and quite frankly it's too hot and humid and the tank is too heavy for me to do it myself. What's the bottom line...take-out Chinese for us tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! This is incredibly ironic... we are out too! I just called James also, and was told the wonderful news of them not delivering on Tuesdays and Thursdays:) This ridiculous place is so annoying. Take out for us as well I guess. Did you also know they won't deliver until 7- 8pm either? So looks like takeout for us tomorrow night too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that someone knows my pains. Thanks for sharing Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys! I'm not sure if you know that I've been reading, but Russ gave me the site when I had asked how Kyle was doing in the Caribbean. To read this blog is very entertaining as well as giving us a little taste into the world you two live in for time being. I really think that you two are very courageous for doing such a thing that would be so "outside" of my comfort zone! Well the reason I am posting is because I was wondering if your propane tank is the same as a grill that we have at home? I ask this because we have this little thing that you hook up to it and it tells you how much propane you have left in your tank. It is genius! If it's the same, I'll send one or two over! They kinda are hard to come by, but I know this little store where to buy them. Let me know! -Katie(Bishop)Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie! We're so glad you are following our adventures here in Dominica. How's everything going with you? Thanks for the advice about the tank, but from what I have looked at online, most of those things screw on to the tank and ours has no place for that. The valve just clips on. This is more Kyle's place than mine, but he has looked at it too and said that those things won't work. I really appreciate the advice. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete