July 12, 2010

Family, Fun, and Food (lots of it!)

As Russ and Beth start week 2 of their visit, I look back at the past week and think about all the fun we've had and all the eating we've done! Here are some pictures...

This is on Friday night at Pete's Ribs, a well-known local eatery with the students. It's cheap, yummy, and overall a good time. Their menu is basic: BBQ ribs, BBQ chicken, or fish, with a side of slaw or fries. I prefer the chicken, only because there are rumors the ribs are goat!!! I must say, they are a bit small for a pig or cow. Anyway, I took this picture of Russ and Beth at Pete's with some of my friends and their husbands.

While waiting for our food at Pete's Ribs, I couldn't help but notice the fabulous ensemble this local guy was wearing...red plaid pajama pants with a velour, 3/4 length, retro top that I'm pretty sure was meant for a female. Russ found his shirt so fascinating that he bought it from him for 5EC ($1.87 US). Poor guy! He probably only has a total of 4 shirts and he just lost a quarter of his collection. This shirt reeked of B.O. and a special kind of plant smoked by some people (if you get what I mean).

On Sunday, we decided to go to De Champs to watch the World Cup when Spain played the Netherlands for the title. I must say, I am not a soccer fan. In fact, it was probably one of the most boring things I have ever experienced. One hour and 20 minutes later and still nothing. Kyle even nodded off to sleep a few times. It was a fun atmosphere, but I was glad when someone finally won.


My friend Kelsey, who works at De Champs, saved us some front row seats for the game. It's good to know people in high places!


That evening, Kyle went back to studying while I was 3rd wheel with Russ and Beth. I took them to Red Rock for dinner, which is one of my favorite places on the island. I mean, just check out the view. It doesn't get much better than this.


This is just before we watched the sunset.

Here we are at dinner enjoying some delicious tostones.

Not much after our meals arrived did it begin to rain, and I mean hard. We all sat with our umbrellas trying to keep both our bodies and plates dry. Needless to say, we all got soaked! I guess that's a risk you take when you eat in the rain forest.

In addition to the dinners we've had out, I've also done a lot of cooking at our place. Hopefully Russ and Beth are getting a good taste of the local food and the ingredients we have to cook with here.

No comments:

Post a Comment