July 9, 2010

Island Tour

On Thursday, I took Russ and Beth on a tour to the southern region of the island. We stopped at a few of my favorite places in the area. Along the way Rosco, our trusty driver/guide, took us on a few photo-op spots and detours.







This is in the botanical gardens, under a banyan tree.


Have you ever traveled with Russ? Well, if you have or plan to, you'll know about his claim to fame...he has the smallest bladder in the world! Look it up in the book of world records. Anyway, in Dominica, there are very few public restrooms, or at least ones that are clean, so the entire island becomes a giant toilet for the men. It is one of my pet peeves about this place. I get sick of seeing men relieving themselves on the side of the road. Russ decided to join in with them and I just had to take a picture of it. You're really a local now!

This is Scott's Head. It was pretty windy, which made swimming in the bay difficult, and the bushes had grown quite tall along the trail to the lookout point, which made the view nonexistent, unfortunately. Not quite what I wanted to show them, but they loved it anyway.





As we were leaving Scott's Head we watched some locals pull in a net of fish.


I had planned to take Russ and Beth to Screw's Spa, but they were closed for a couple of weeks, so instead we went to the mineral springs at Tia's Bamboo Cottages. The water in nice and warm and great for your skin. As we all relaxed in the spa, admiring the lush greenery of the rain forest around us, it began to rain. Then, out of nowhere, it felt like someone poured acid in my right eye. I burned unlike anything I had ever felt before and I still have no clue what caused it. Needless to say, we cut our trip short and began the hour drive back.



This is a picture of Rosco showing me how all locals can carry stuff on their head. I was referring more to 10 lb. bags of mangoes or baskets of produce, but this little cup I guess will do. Nothing like a little laughter to cure pain. By the time we got back, my eye was about 80% better. I'm not sure what it was, but I was glad for it to go away. Kyle came home from studying for dinner and the four of us enjoyed a nice evening together.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're having a blast!! I'm sorry about your eye, that's so weird (and miserable). Is it completely better now?

    Rosco is hilarious, right?! I love him.

    ReplyDelete