July 19, 2010

Kubuli Canoe Races

About 2 months ago, my friend Kelsey tried to convince me to do these canoe races to which I had no interest in. After nagging a few more times and me saying no a few more times, she simply signed me up and said, "You're going to do the race and you're going to have a good time". Boy am I glad she forced me...it was such a blast and something I will never forget!
We had 3 teams of 4, all of them spouses of students. Here's the gang...


Me with 2 of the girls on my team poking, our heads out the window of the bus.

This is a church in the city of Soufriere, where the races were held.

Typical Dominican architecture.

Not sure what this lady is doing...flashing oncoming traffic?

Kubuli Beer sponsored the event. We even got a case of Kubuli to split just for participating.


I couldn't help but snap a photo of this guy. Check out those dreads!

This is my team. (From L to R: Kelsey, Margo, Nina, and Me)

This was our team huddled. I believe we said "Let's just try not to come in last place".

The Kubuli Canoe Races are quite a popular event.

What a great day! In true Dominican style, we arrived to the races at 11:30am in order to sign up by noon, as told by the race coordinators, so the races could begin promptly at 1 pm. We should have known this was coming...we were the only people there until around 2:30. The races didn't even start until around 3. We weren't told the wrong information, people are just slow and laid back around here. Ugh! Don't they know if you're not 5 minutes early, you're late? Anyway, the races finally began and there were a total of 3 separate races. Two of them were for corporate teams and one was for private teams (that was us). There were only 4 teams in the private race and 3 of them were us spouses. Long story short...my team came in second to last. We reached our goal of not getting last place! We were just glad to not fall in the water. We laughed a lot and made memories that will last forever!

1 comment:

  1. ok, now I know who you are....
    Hopefully we'll see a team or two in July when you guys can try not to sink again. Remember the party continued long after you hurriedly left.

    thanks for being the first participants from Ross.

    Izzy (the race organizer who gave you the sign up time)

    ReplyDelete